Thursday, 17 November 2011

Getting in about the crafting...

As the garden is so cold and sad at the moment and there is very little to chat about, I have been busy in the craft room. My main aims have been improving my techniques in various things but my main project this last couple of weeks has been making a new Changing Bag for farm baby.

I researched and researched all the different designs out there and all the different pockets, positions of pockets and tied it all together with what I liked and disliked about the current changing bag I have - a free one from Boots!

A trip into town saw me spending a fortune on some lovely fabric, but then chickened out of using it without some practice attempts.  I wasn't sure what I was going to use for my practice material but an impromptu trip to the local car boot sale resulted in a £3 purchase of some old blinds and curtain material I had what I needed for some practicing. 

My first attempt was with some curtain fabric.   I gave it a flap closure as I liked the idea of hiding all the pockets and things within.

Easy to access pockets on the front.

I wanted an internal zippered pocket and as I had never done this before I was glad of the chance to practice.

I also tried out some fancy edges to hide the internal raw edges of my pockets.

Although i liked my bag I wasn't happy with the proportions and I also wanted to try a bit of elasticated pocketing inside and out as this was something that I wanted on my final bag.  So, after unpicking all the stitching on a roman blind from my car boot buy.  I set out on bag number two.  It was more square and I think I like this one better, shape wise.

Again the front pockets.

An elasticated pocket on the edge on the outside for holding a drinking bottle.

Internal stretchy pocket.

Had fun with the sewing machine's fancy stitching to give this bag a bit of excitement on the flap.

All in all I am happy with my practices.  I have now bitten the bullet and started with the expensive fabric.  

I made these two bags relatively quickly and without much difficulty.  Of course, as soon as I got the 'real' fabric out it has all started to go wrong!!  

I shall update you once the official bag is ready.

1 comment:

  1. Just been playing catch-up after a hectic month. These bags are lovely and at least you will have some for taking out with you for picnics that can get dirtied up and keep your expensive one for best. Hope it all works out well and I can't wait to see the final product.


I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!