Wednesday 21 July 2010

The Mushrooms

I am a mushroom growing failure. It's true. No matter how hard I try or what kit or starter pack I buy and attempt I have never been able to get the silly things to grow.

But I still persevere and I attempted yet another pack (a gift from Farm Guy). This pack was to grow Button Mushrooms. I followed the instructions but I was worried that I was fighting yet another losing battle when it said to put the mushroom box into a warm dark place. The only place we had like that was the airing cupboard which is currently missing a wall... see here...

But I dutifully put it in there for the 8-10 days before removing and placing on a windowsill. I saw white tendils across the surface.... hurray!! Nope, not hurray, instructions said you don't want that, cover them up if you see any of them! Bye first ever sightings of mushroom growth...

I checked today however and would you believe it....


My first ever mushroom!! It isn't the world's biggest and I don't think it'll make a meal but it sure looks better than anything I have ever grown! Let's hear it for this little mushroom! Perhaps there will be more.... I shall keep an eye out for his mushroomy friends!

Perhaps the trick IS to let the cat sit on them.....

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to grow mushrooms but even reading the instructions sometimes is hard enough so I have to confess to never having tried...I will do at some point (maybe?!) but in essence what all this means is that i am VERY impressed with your mushroom....I have cats too!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!