Wednesday 3 November 2010

Dressing Baby

As you know I decided a wee while ago that I wanted to learn to make my own clothes.  And I had a few successes, however when it comes to practicing if you get it wrong making a big item then it is quite a waste of cloth and money! 

Yesterday I was looking for clothes for Farm Baby and two things struck me;  firstly that there is never (like buying clothes for me) exactly what I want and secondly that she will grow out of things so fast at this age that it just isn't worth buying really lovely things (at least not a lot of them).  Then another epiphany hit me, here I had a tiny tot who needed clothes and I needed to practice!  I could make clothes for her with my leftover materials, I could get exactly the clothes I wnated for just the cost of my time and if it went wrong there wouldn't be a huge loss of money and cloth!!  Excellent.  

So I set about looking for patterns.  I found a very basic one here which would give me the general idea, but it still wasn't 'special' enough for me so I edited it myself, added a Peter Pan Collar and Capped Sleeves as well as matching both of them to the skirt and this is what I ended up with...

Apologies for the photo: my usual camera has a flat battery and I have NO idea where the charger is, so I am using our cheap and cheerful camera we bought for taking underwater photos when we were on holiday!

I am really pleased with how it turned out and it has given me a lot of confidence for trying to make other things for her!

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing like making your own clothes...everyone is an original. I don't sew well but I have started to knit and crochet so i am having lots of fun making little tweaks to patterns to get just what I want!!!

    The dress is lovely by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!