Wednesday 13 April 2011

Meet the Weedlings plus Worst Blogger in World Award Goes To...

I cannot believe it has been SO long since I did a proper post!  I am sorry blogger fans I will try and be more consistent!

Life has been very busy here on the farm with the introduction of Farm Baby.  But she is finally becoming a good age for sitting in the garden and watching the goings on, the nicer weather is also helping that!

We are still without a greenhouse so the living room window shelf is making its return as the seedlings home.  They are of course going all leggy as window grown plants always do, even with turning and a harsh talking to!

But let me introduce the weedlings.  We currently have cabbage, brussels, celery, sweet peas, cornflowers, sweetcorn and beetroot.  The celery took some convincing to grow but it is finally doing something!

The tree like thing in the square pot is a Goji Berry tree that I got with a free offer on my gardening magazine!  So I thought why not, give it a go!

 
The front garden is being transformed into a haven for cutting flowers!  So what have I planted?  Ummm... nothing!  Well, not entirely true, there are some gladioli bulbs for later in the year and Farm Mum and Dad gave some daffodil bulbs as they have literally hundreds of daffies and were having a clear out!  The cornflowers are for the front garden if anything comes of them.  Also I bought some sweet pea seeds for a variety that is supposed to be 'perfect for cut flowers' so we will have to see!


I also tried lettuces.  Winter ones. I planted the seeds.  The container got water logged.  Nothing grew.  We added more drainage holes and tried again.  Nothing happened for weeks and weeks.  But look at them now!

Aren't they great!  Yeah, big and leafy!  Those lettuces... we umm... *cough* bought from the garden centre...

So we now have, something red, some Cos Lettuce and some Iceberg!


As I said above I decided that the front garden was to become the place for me to get my cut flowers, I love them in the house but don't like keep buying them.  However, I have been looking at the area and have decided to make use of it as extra vegetable and fruit growing space as well.  So, any veg (or fruit) that can convince me that it is 'pretty' is getting to go in the front garden too!  The Lavender plants have already made their move and hopefully they will manage to bulk out a bit more than they did in their pot.  I am just glad that they survived over winter at all!


And just to finish off... what on earth is happening here?

This hanging basket was dead last year, and I mean dead!  It would just dry out and there was no way of keeping it damp and the pansies just died so I gave up.  But look at it now!!  I swear it has just been hanging there over winter, I haven't watered it, I haven't added plants, I haven't even thought about it!!  Perhaps I should just fling all my seeds around randomly and leave them to it!  Everything seems to do better when I'm not involved!

1 comment:

  1. Well it looks like you are making good progress...I have planted celery for the first time but it isn't doing anything yet.

    The hanging basket look wonderful...wouldn't it be great if everything were so easy...or even if the veggies germinated as well as the weeds!!

    Good to see you posting again.. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!