Cinnamon Fruit Scones
I love making scones and on Sunday I suddenly go the urge upon me! I began in earnest until I realised I had no milk! Farm Guy had finished the last of the milk at breakfast! Oh no, half made scones and no milk, what was I to do? All I had was water, well, water is like milk... milk without the cow.... isn't it?
So I used water instead and the results are pictured! They tasted fine and did as they should, I will give you the recipe as it should have been but I admit these are with water instead of milk!
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tblsp sultanas
1 tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and rub in the butter.
- Heat the milk for 20 secs and add the vanilla essence. Place a baking tray in the oven.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and sultanas. Add the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.