Thursday 19 April 2012

Chicks A-Plenty

About a week ago I discovered a hen showing signs of broodiness. I set up her own little area of the pen and successfully moved her and her five eggs across. She has since been sitting well but I am glad that she also appears to be looking after herself, coming out to eat and drink and stretch her legs. I hope that is a sign that she is going to be a good sensible mother.

Fingers crossed for the 2nd of May, that's the expected hatch date, - ish!

We have also opened up the top paddock to our hens as it is dog proofed. Unfortunately it wasn't totally chicken proofed as last evening they had got through into the neighbouring field and couldn't get back. Some chicken round up was required.

I have been out today in the rain trying to chicken proof the area. Hope it should be okay now!

1 comment:

  1. Fingers crossed that you get yourself some new additions to the family.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!