Thursday 23 August 2012

A Little Layer

Our new hen, Custard, is just a little bantam hen and there was concern that she may feel a little overwhelmed by the masses of larger hens, not to mention the cockerel! But it appears that she has settled in perfectly and is happy enough to lay us a little show of appreciation. I have never seen a bantam egg before and they are very cute! I am kind of keen to add a few bantams to our collection, although I am also after quail too! I shall become 'that crazy woman with all the birds'!

The other hen has had to be separated unfortunately. The cockerel was getting too aggressive and she was getting stressed. She now has her own run, within the main run, and has settled right in. I return her to the coop at night for safety and back to her run during the day. This is hopefully not a permanent arrangement, I am hoping that with slow, careful steps we can make a better and successful introduction down the road, and harmony shall reign again!!

2 comments:

  1. Bantams do lay wonderful eggs don't they. Quails eggs are entirely different again. Have you thought about ducks too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wer have talked ducks, but would like to give them a decent pond which we havent time to make at the moment. So they'd have to be a future addition!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!