Tuesday 3 August 2010

Mushrooms and How They Dry

So the mushrooms are growing very well, much better than I had expected them to. But what to do with them? They are growing somewhat sporadically so no more than about two are ever ready at one time. I decided that they needed to be preserved and drying seemed to be the best way. I had read up on different methods and slicing and drying seemed like it was to be my best method. This method left you with 'mushroom flakes' which, if stored correctly will last for years.

So how do you do it?

It is in fact amazingly simple. Pick your mushrooms* and make sure they are free of mud. Try to make sure they don't get too wet while you are cleaning of the mud. I found that a soft paintbrush was a great way to brush the mud clear without damaging the mushroom and avoided using water at all.

Slice your mushrooms, the thinner you make them the quicker they will dry but also remember that the mushroom slice will shrink dramaically as it dries so you are left with very fragile chips.

Place your mushroom chips on a baking tray and place in an oven set on the lowest temperature, for me that is 100oC. Leave them in for an hour and then check if they still need some time then turn them over and continue drying.

All moisture needs to be removed from the chips or the mushrooms will not last. Once they are fully dry place them in an airtight container. When you are planning on using them remember that dried mushrooms are more potent than normal ones so use sparingly. You can also rehydrate them before use by letting them soak in water until reformed.

*I am using mushrooms grown from a kit, if you are planning on picking mushrooms from the wild then be sure you know exactly what you are picking as many mushrooms can be extremely dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! Thanks for the information.
    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info....I have never picked mushrooms from the wild...too scared and as of yet I haven't grown any but after seeing how well yours have done I think I might try it next year...and if they grow sporadically i can just dry them!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!